Saturday, May 24, 2008

Mounting Excitement!


My nephew Graeme, has kindly agreed to manage this blog while we're offshore. Graeme is a photographer by night whose own blog is at http://flickr.com/photos/gkhay/2484045922. By day he is a chemical engineer working at a Star Trek Ottawa plant that uses a plasma gun to zap all manner of garbage into usable fuel. I asked for yacht sized trickle down technology but as yet his company in more interested in supplying the fuel needs of cities rather than individual cruisers.
Tom is back from jury rigging an engine for JD's canvas California plane, getting his tenants and friends settled into his Frazer Valley home so he can run away to sea.
With my medical scales home from the office I'm weighing hamm/SSB radio, sextants, power drill, gps, laptops and such for our carry on luggage. The World Cellular Rentals Iridium Sat phone arrived in it's yellow Pelican case. Our 89 yo dads are glad we're keep in touch. At rental cost and $2 a minute we won't be talking to teenagers but I will maintain emergency contact with secretary Noreen. The Hamm/SSB can't be used for business but will continue to be the mainstay of communications and email given the short range of VHS.
Despite having his mind on his new ketch, Eric at Steveston's marina explained the advantages of heading first to Honolulu as he handed me spare parts for the head. Today I'm finalizing moorage for the GIRI with a friend.
Last night Laura and I saw the Pacific Theatre's brilliant and hilarious play, "You Can't Take It With You" which I chose to take personally. Time to go sailing!

No comments: