Sunday, May 25, 2008

Tom's Ready to Fly



Yesterday I had the joy of being on my friend's beautiful Beneteau, Turnpoint. He's ready to go offshore and done a wonderful job of preparing his boat. He's such an accomplished coastal captain and competent seaman yet still worrying about that first ocean crossing. Reminded me of the psychological and spiritual leap of faith that goes with leaving land far behind. Chatting sailing in his cockpit with him and his lovely partner brought back so many fond memories of the world of cruising. Driving away on the Harley, I found myself humming Jimmy Buffet's song, "Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude."
Today found the picture of the GIRI under way in Juan de Fuca before my friend Gary and I painted it gunship grey.
Tom arrived and we spent the day loading up suitcases with engine parts and such, all the while balancing bag weights for Westjet then Hawaian Air. I don't envy him herding luggage through the airport and customs but he's beaming at the thought of being in bikini heaven sometime tomorrow. Tom corrected me and said he's looking forward to the cultural experience of hoola skirts.

No comments: